One frequently asked question by any homeowner regarding their home addition project is, “How long will it take?” At times, the answer to this question is underwhelming to some. They tend to have overly optimistic expectations of project timelines without knowing the specifics that go into them.
In order to have realistic expectations of how long home additions take, it’s important to know the factors that influence their scheduling.
- Type of Home Addition. Different home additions will naturally have varying project timelines. Issues like the size of the addition, the fittings needed, and the design development stage can influence these timelines. For instance, kitchen addition schedules often last five to ten weeks, while a smaller bathroom project can be done in as little as two weeks. For every project, however, you should talk to your contractors about how long to expect for your specific project and what factors will influence the timeline.
- Weather. Rainy periods and unpredictable weather like hurricanes can significantly disrupt any project’s schedule. Contractors prefer not to work under start-stop conditions as these can lead to costly delays and poor workmanship. It’s usually more advisable to schedule construction for home additions when the weather is pleasant, like in the spring.
- Permits. Home additions, like other construction projects, are regulated by local zoning, planning, and environmental regulations. Thus, they require permits before they can be built. And since no work can occur without the relevant permits, the project schedule may delay until all pending issues are resolved.
How to Streamline the Process
As a homeowner, there are a few things you can do to ensure your project schedule stays on track. These include:
- Have Detailed Plans. This will ensure the permitting process is smooth.
- Have Realistic Targets. For best results, don’t rush the home addition completion. Ensure sufficient time to get things done at the right time.
- Finally, work with a reputable contractor like us. With over 25 years of experience, we are confident we can deliver any home addition project on time and within budget.